Cycling Sunglasses for Road Cycling and Mountain Bike
The world of cycling is a continuous evolution of new technologies and materials where the only common goal is the improvement of the athlete’s performance. The performance and enjoyment of living the bicycle to the full is the fundamental aspect that every enthusiast or agonist looks for in every ride with his beloved bicycle.
Every aspect, from the tire of the bicycle, frame, gearbox, clothing, glasses and other accessories are chosen with extreme care based on the specific needs of the cyclist.
It is fundamental that you practice road cycling or mountain biking and choose eyewear that protects your eyes not only from light and air, but also from any projections such as dust, insects, leaves and branches (for those who practice MTB) and that resists impacts without breaking apart, thus protecting the eyes in the event of an accident.
DEMON has created a line of cycling glasses for the practice of MTB and road cycling dedicated to increasing the athlete’s performance and maximum eye protection and safety.
- Shatterproof lenses: The lenses for cycling and MTB glasses are made of anti-breakage polycarbonate. Essential for the safety of your eyes during your trip. The lens, in addition to being lighter than lenses made with conventional materials, has a greater resistance factor, in fact in the case of very strong impacts, such as a fall, or an impact against a branch or a stone raised by the athlete in front of you, will not suffer a clear break.
The lenses used for cycling glasses are built in such a way that if they suffer a very strong impact, they will not be damaged by generating fragments that can come into contact with your eyes, but they form a “spider web” effect that invalidates the lens but absorbs the bump and diverges it all over its surface without breaking.
- Sense of depth: Often it is underestimated by many athletes, another fundamental aspect for a lens for those who practice cycling, in particular for the MTB is the sense of depth. Using a decentralized and optically perfect lens allows the athlete not only to have the perfect sense of the depth of the path, but also to be able to see an object or obstacle exactly where it is located.
Take for example a rider during an outing with his MTB: he is facing a difficult and narrow pass at very slow speed, with a decentralized and optically perfect lens he can see exactly the space where to insert the wheel, otherwise if the lens it does not have these characteristics it risks having a visual distortion and a wrong sense of depth that can reach even 5cm. Using technical materials not only increases performance, but makes the difference between success and a fall in the most critical points.
- Air protection: The lenses are enveloping and created to better protect the athlete’s eyes from the air and at the same time provide ventilation to prevent fogging. They also protect against dust, insects and small pebbles that can be lifted by the athlete who can be found in front of you at that moment.
Types of lenses:
It is fundamental to start from the assumption that regardless of the discipline practiced, MTB or Road Bike, the lens of the cycling glasses must be: ANTI BRAKEAGE and OPTICALLY PERFECT. Because your glasses, besides protecting your eyes from sunlight and UV rays, MUST provide maximum protection even in the event of accidental impacts. The anti-breaking factor makes sure that the lens does not break in the case of very strong impacts, thus creating no splinters, which could damage your eye, but rather creates a “spider web effect” that simply make the lens not more useful.
Optically perfect, it consists in seeing a point exactly where it is, to have the perfect perception of depth and position.
Here are all the lenses in the collection:
DCHROM photochromic lenses: It starts from a slightly veiled colour (Category 1) and darkens until it reaches category 3 (the same darkness as common sunglasses). It is particularly recommended for prolonged use without large light variations typical of racing bikes, in fact, using this lens allows you to have glasses that you never need to take off. In the practice of MTB, it allows you to penetrate in areas of dense scrub, but we do not recommend this lens, to those looking for a pair of glasses that can also be used for night-time outings, as the starting colour may be slightly dark in very low light conditions.
- Photochromic Smoke Lens: Completely transparent colouring part (Category 1). It darkens until Category 2.5 is reached. It remains slightly clearer during maximum work to help the eye adapt more quickly from light to the shaded area. This allows the rider to not have to interrupt his performance or slow down to remove the glasses with “still dark” lenses for entry into the shaded area. In very dense wooded areas, the lens will be completely transparent, and will serve as protection from air and projections such as: leaves and branches. This special lens can be used for night-time outings as a simple protection from the air.
- Interchangeable lenses: that are lenses in polycarbonate, antiscratch, decentered and optically correct, interchangeable lenses make for on-the-spot adaptably of our specs according to changes in weather conditions. Changing lenses is simple and quick, also thanks to the special, super-lightweight material used for the frame, TR90 Ultralight. Each pair of specs with interchangeable lenses comes complete with smoke Category 3 lenses, a pair of Orange Category 2 lenses and a pair of Clear Category 1 lenses.
- Smoke lenses: Category 3, For those who practice mountain biking this lens is recommended for intense and very intense sunny days. It is also important to specify that if the path includes very long stretches of thick bush even if the sun is very intense, we recommend the use of an orange lens. If the route is mixed, it can be used and guarantees excellent performance. The advantage of using this interchangeable lens for road cycling or MTB, allows relaxed eyes even for very prolonged use under very intense sun. The Smoke Lens Category 3 is commonly referred to as “the mirrored lens” in fact it is built internally in smoke (the darkness of common sunglasses) and externally it is often characterized by strong mirroring. This particular lens is generally used for road cycling in both sunny and cloudy weather. It is important to specify that unlike MTB road cycling is characterized by fewer light changes, so even if the weather is cloudy the lens is not too dark.
- Orange lenses: Category 2, For those who practice road bike, it can be used for cloudy or rainy days, even if using an orange lens affects the aesthetics of the eyewear, and often even with less intense sunny days the cyclist prefers to use the mirrored lens for an aesthetical reason. This interchangeable lens for road cycling and MTB is mainly used for mountain biking. It is preferred to the smoke lens if the chosen path-trail is characterized by long stretches of very dense forest with poor visibility or in cloudy weather.
- Clear lenses: Category 1, Night racing is racer on racing bikes, except for special events or sporadic situations. In the event that in your plans there is some night-time ride with the racing bike we advise you to evaluate this lens. Regardless of road bike or MTB you can use this lens even for very cloudy or rainy days. The interchangeable transparent lens for mountain bikes is essential for night-time raiding, in fact it carries out the task of protecting the eye from: air, leaves, branches, insects, dust and other obstacles present in the path without “darkening “Minimizing the vision of the route.
- Polarized Lenses DPOL:It can be used for the practice of any sport and is also used for the creation of many fashion glasses. The polarized lens initially was born as a lens for sport fishing, in fact the characteristic of eliminating reflections allows the fisherman to see the clearest part of the water, thus helping him fishing. Then it was used later for all water sports, and finally carried in all sports and outside the purely sporting ambit. The advantage of the polarized lens is the sense of relaxation that gives to your eyes.The polarized lens is shown to be the most restful lens for the eyes currently present on the world market.Advantages of the polarized lens in cycling glasses:
- Better perception of contrast
- Clearer vision
- No modification of natural colours
- Elimination of transverse reflexes
The benefits of using a polarized lens for cycling are many, some of them can be noticed as soon as we put on the glasses, others when green fields open before your eyes. With DPOL lenses, under a very strong sun your eyes will fell rested as if the ride had just begun, even after many hours of outdoor cycling.
This is a particular lens created in unbreakable plastic material that in addition to protection from UV rays, is able to concentrate and diverge light rays and attenuate UV-A and UV- radiations B through a polarizing filter that eliminates transverse reflections.
Regardless of the fact that the cycling eyewear is chosen to practice Mountain Bike or Road Cycling it is essential to choose the frame based on the following criteria:
- WRAP: The frame for cycling glasses differs first and foremost from the winding, which in addition to the role of aerodynamics, serve to protect the eyes as well as from the air, from possible external projections, such as: mud, dust, leaves and gnats.
- LIGHT AND ELASTIC: Fundamental role, given the prolonged use of cycling glasses are: lightness and elasticity. The glasses that you don’t feel wearing, are to be consider good glasses. All DEMON frames are created in TR90, a special composition of Nylon and carbon fibre that makes cycling eyewear 20% lighter than conventional materials, significantly increases elasticity and makes the glasses non deformable at high and low temperatures. The elasticity is important for the fit, in fact the glasses have the task of wrapping the face, without tightening and becoming annoying.
- DIMENSION OF THE TEMPLES: In addition to the aesthetic factor, the size of the temples serves as additional protection. It is a surplus to the “wrap factor”. In MTB, the use of wider temples is particularly preferred for greater protection from leaves and branches in very dense woodlands, or particular passages where one comes into contact with particular obstacles.
The aerodynamic structure of the lenses of the cycling and mountain bike glasses is designed to better protect your eyes from the air, but at the same time to ensure the best ventilation to allow the athlete to practice their favourite activity with that constant pleasant sensation of relaxation for one’s eyes. DEMON frames are composed of TR90. A special composition of Carbon Fibre and Nylon, which makes cycling eyewear 20% lighter than conventional materials. More resistant to accidental impacts and frequent lens changing. Giving them greater durability.
The shape of the cycling glasses is tapered and aerodynamic. Many models are created to be used for both disciplines, in fact for example the structure of the temples is wider not only for aesthetic factor but to protect laterally from obstacles such as leaves and branches typical of those who practice mountain bike.
The TR90 used for cycling and MTB glasses is a hypoallergenic composition and can also be used for very prolonged use without irritating the skin. Also, the grip section on the inner part of the temples, besides performing stability function, particularly appreciated for the MTB, is built in ultralight material to reduce the weight of the cycling glasses as much as possible.
For many models of the road cycling and mountain bike line there is an adjustable nose piece, to obtain an excellent fit for every face type.
Our road cycling and MTB glasses are designed and cared for down to the smallest detail. Each model has its own technical characteristics necessary to meet the needs that the discipline requires, from the curvature of the lenses to the width of the temples.
Using a pair of cycling glasses for mountain biking or racing bike is the perfect solution for those who want a pair of glasses that will always have a perfect view of their course and at the same time be protected from impacts and accidental bumps.
For those who use prescriptions glasses?
For those who use prescriptions glasses to practice road cycling or MTB, DEMON has created a dedicated line of technical cycling glasses for prescription lenses.
The line includes glasses with the same lenses described above with an internal optical clip in which your trusted optician will take care of creating prescription lenses.The materials used are the same to guarantee maximum performance, safety and comfort.