Which Sunglasses for Bikes to choose
Are you looking on the internet for information on which bike sunglasses to choose? Have shapes, colors and all sorts of technology made your decision even more difficult?
We at DEMON have decided to create a mini guide to help you make some clarity on the type of bike sunglasses you need.
WHAT TYPE OF FRAME TO CHOOSE:
Regardless of the fact that the bicycle eyewear is chosen to practice Mountain Bike or Road Bike it is essential to choose the frame based on the following criteria:
1. WRAPPING: The frame for bike sunglasses differs first of all due to the “wrapping” , which in addition to the role of aerodynamics, serve to protect the eyes as well as from the air, from possible external elements, such as: mud, dust, leaves and gnats.
2. LIGHT AND ELASTIC: Fundamental role, given the prolonged use of bicycle sunglasses are: lightness and elasticity. The eyewear that you don’t feel wearing are good glasses. All DEMON frames are created in TR90, a special composition of Nylon and carbon fiber that makes bicycle eyewear 20% lighter than conventional materials, significantly increases elasticity and makes the sunglasses not deformable at high and low temperatures. The elasticity is important for the fit, in fact the sunglasses have the task of wrapping the face, without tightening and becoming annoying.
3. DIMENSION OF THE RODS: In addition to the aesthetic factor, the size of the rods serves as additional protection. It is a surplus to the wrap factor. In MTB, the use of wider rods is particularly preferred for greater protection from leaves and branches in very dense woodlands, or special passages where one comes into contact with particular obstacles.
WHAT KIND OF LENSES TO CHOOSE:
It is fundamental to start from the assumption that regardless of the discipline practiced, MTB or Road, the lens for the bicycle sunglasses must be: ANTI BREAKABLE and OPTICALLY PERFECT. Because your glasses, in addition to protecting your eyes from sunlight and UV rays, MUST provide maximum protection even in the event of accidental impacts. The Anti-breaking factor ensures that the lens does not break in the case of very strong impacts, thus creating no splinters, which could damage your eye, but rather creates a “spider web effect” that simply invalidates the lens. Optically perfect, it consists in seeing a point exactly where it is, to have the perfect perception of depth.
There are different types of lenses, below we will explain the main features, and for which discipline they are more similar:
- PHOTOCHROMIC LENSES: Photochromic lenses are lenses that, when exposed to UV radiation or sunlight in general, start a reversible chemical reaction and darken. Once the radiation of light disappears, the lenses gradually return to the initial state of transparency. They can be used both for the practice of MTB and for the ROAD cycling it is therefore important to specify which type is more performing for the chosen discipline:
» PHOTOCHROMIC SMOKE: RECOMMENDED for Mountain Bike, starts from completely transparent coloring (Category 1). It darkens until reaching Category 2.5. It remains slightly clearer during maximum work to help the eye adapt more quickly from Light to Shadow. This allows the athlete to not have to interrupt his performance or slow down to remove the “still dark” glasses for entry into the shaded area. In very dense wooded areas, the lens will be completely transparent, and will serve as protection from air and projections such as: leaves and branches. This special lens can be used for night-time outings as a simple protection from the air.
» PHOTOCHROMIC DCHROM: Can be used for both MTB and ROAD cycling , it starts from a slightly veiled starting color (Category 1) and darkens until it reaches category 3 (the same darkness as common sunglasses) It is particularly recommended for prolonged use without large clear variations dark, in fact using this lens in a racing bike allows you to have a pair of eyewear that you never need to take off. The same conditions apply to the practice of MTB without going into areas of dense bush where it may be slightly dark. We advise against this lens for those looking for a pair of glasses that can also be used for night-time outings.
WHICH LENS DOES THEREFORE FOR YOU?
- What is the main advantage of choosing a photochromic lens or a DCHROM lens? The Photochromic smoke lens is mainly indicated for those who are fond of itineraries with large wooded areas with low light or like going out at night. While the DCHROM lens is more versatile and can also be used for very long uses, but not at night.
- Are you affected by strong light? In the event that, your choice is oriented to a photochromic lens, definitely the DCHROM lens. If instead you are oriented towards a dark lens, the DCHANGE package is for you.
- Do you travel routes with strong light? (quite high altitude, desert,) Our advice is the same for those who particularly suffer from light to avoid minor irritation to the eye for not having adequately protected themselves: In the event that your choice is oriented towards a photochromic lens, certainly the DCHROM lens. If instead you are oriented towards a dark lens, the DCHANGE package is for you.
- Do you have the habit of doing MTB or ROAD cycling early in the morning or at the end of the day? In this case we suggest the SMOKED photochromic lens. While if he chooses the DCHANGE package, you will be able to mount the orange lens, and replace it with the transparent one when the sun goes down, and vice versa if the exit is made at dawn.